Moving to a new country is the first in a long mountain of steps you take towards buying your first house there! This is the beginning of a series where we break down your property journey, starting with immigration!
We will cover 3 pathways to PR for both students and working adults, with some added professional advice from featured guest, John – migration consultant and founder of John Hu Migration Consulting (find his contact information at the bottom of this article!).
You might be wondering – Why Australia?
Recently, Australia has added special upgrades benefitting BNO or HK passport holders. Temporary subclasses 500, 485 and 482 guarantee you a five-year stay, while subclasses 189 and 191 are newly designed to ease the passage to PR for Hong Kongers!
Pathway 1: The Education Route (500 -> 485 -> 189/191)
First, get the student 500 visa. Here’s the criteria:
- Be 6 years-old or above
- Get accepted by a course of study in Australia
- Provide documents for an assessment of your health
- Provide evidence of your English skills through a test done within the last 2 years
When you’ve completed your studies and graduated from a CRICOS-registered course, you can apply for the Temporary Graduate Visa (485). With this post-grad work permit, you can get a job and earn enough points to stay behind for permanent residency!
Important Note 1: you cannot directly apply for the Temporary Graduate Visa!
Important Note 2: you must apply for the 485 visa within 6 months after graduation.
Pathway 2: The Education Route (482 -> 189/191)
If you’ve been working for a while, you should consider subclass 482 – the Temporary Skill Shortage visa. According to John, if you have enough points, you’ll be invited to apply for permanent skill migration.
Requirements are as follows:
- Get sponsored by an employer for a…
- Job found on the TSS 482 Occupation List
- Have at least 2 years of experience in the chosen field
- Pass English language tests
Tips from John: If you’re in the age range 25 to 30, you can gain the highest points of 25, and a maximum of 20 points for language with an IELTS score of 8-9.
Here’s an additional question:
The Final Leg: Hong Kong PR Streams (500 -> 485 -> 189/191 or 482 -> 189/191)
Here are the two following Hong Kong Streams to apply for permanent residency.
Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)
- allows you to live and work in Australia permanently
- You must have spent 4 years in Australia prior to applying
Permanent Resident (Skilled Regional) Visa (Subclass 191)
- Faster route; live exclusively in a designated regional area such as the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast for 3 years prior
- Does not require points test, career assessment, and English test
- Allows eligible family members to migrate for permanent residence
03. Pathway 3 – Skill Professional Teleportation (GTI Visa)
According to John, the Global Talent Independent Visa has been the most popular visa amongst Chinese immigrants in the last 6 months, especially since it is a direct PR visa that takes about 6 months to get.
To be qualified, you must be:
- internationally recognised in one of the following ten sectors
- have an annual salary of over 900, 000 HKD.
In 2021-2022, there are a total of 15,000 places available.
We continue to ask John some commonly asked questions, so watch till the end to benefit from his insights. Otherwise, stay tuned for the next episode, where we will analyze the best places to live in Australia – from a home buying and investing perspective!
Property investment is a long-term game and planning is the key. Watch more videos for a better decision!
To receive more property information relating to the UK, Canada and Hong Kong, sign up to our newsletter at the bottom of this page.
More on Australia related information:
- Australia | 2022 Australian immigration new policy conditions one by one
- Australian government assists 300,000 Australians to buy property
Base on Location:
Follow us on:
👉 Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Denzity-110540191579297
👉 Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/denzity_io_global/